Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Stupid is as Stupid Does

So the latest and greatest of the next generation of MMORPGs (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game) was release for public stress test last Monday. My current MOG addiction is World of Warcraft. It was release Novemeber of last year and since I have been happily slaying dragons, hunting orcs and doing good deeds. But when a new one starts to come of age I have to take a little looksy at it. When the new one happens to be Dungeons&Dragons Online that little looksy quickly becomes an obsession to play the game.

Monday night I was accepted into the stress test beta. I downloaded the client, I created my account, and I patched the game and then stared longingly at the login screen. Unfortunately the game was not going live till the following morning.

Last night I managed to beg, cajole, and whimper my way into getting permission (I am sure this will come back to haunt me in the future) to dabble with the game during parenting time. I got about an hour into the game before the demands of the boys and my wife came crashing back in. Once parenting time was over and the boys were in bed I had a previous commitment that did not allow my to try logging back in. At 11:00 pm all was silent in our house. My wife had wandered up to bed, the kids were deep in sleep, and I was staring at my computer. I knew I should go to bed, but I wanted to take another quick look at the new shiny computer game. After all 15 minutes would not hurt me.

Like I was not aware what was going to happen. Self-denial is a wonderful illusion.

I am not sure how late it was when I woke back up. My neck was killing me from having fallen asleep in front of the computer, my back hurt and since we lower the temperature in the house over night a fair number of my extremities had frozen.

This morning at 7:00 am I was in a world of hurt, headache, exhaustion, yucky taste in my mouth from late night snacking and not brushing my teeth. Now as I sit and drool over my keyboard at work, my mind a numb glop of jelly I really, really wish I had gone to bed at a reasonable hour.

Tonight I will have to work through the evening with my high-energy sons, I will get no sympathy from my wife, and I will long for my bed.

And the worst part, betcha I log back into the game for another late night session.

p.s. My Eldest was as excited by the game as I was. Some traits breed true.

3 Comments:

At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your lack of discipline before a computer is not unlike my lack of discipline before a plate full of xmas cookies. But the big difference is that I can take my obsession to bed with me.

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Todd said...

Well technically I can as well, The laptop just has enough horse power to run it. The problem is my wife is not all that keen to get woken up by the frequent parries and thrusts of my two-handed staff.

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger nancy said...

I too have been known to stay up waaaay past my bedtime to play on the computer...never fallen asleep though - too funny!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home