Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Negotiating With Santa

My wife and I were good holiday shoppers this year. She scoured the weekly flyers and I would nip out at lunch and pick up the latest and greatest toys from Toys R Us when they were on sale.  By the time the Christmas spirit wrapped the boys up in the pre-holiday consumerism we were mainly done with the Christmas shopping.

Last weekend my “middlest” wrote his letter to Santa Claus.  A letter I have been dreading seeing him write, because he is asking Santa for something that we did not buy, something we did not want to buy.

Technically I have no problem with the toy, it is not violent, and it does not seem shabby or fragile. The problem lies in the fact that it is an $85.00 remote control vehicle.  Our past history with these toys is that they are played with for a couple of days and then fall into the wayside.  My basement is full of 3 generations of broken forgotten remote control vehicles.

I am at a loss for what to do at this point.  On one side I want my son to believe in the magic of Christmas, the magic of Santa Claus (consumerism and all). On the other hand I do not want to spend the money on the toy.  Parental guilt is closing like a vice around my heart.  Do I just bite the bullet and get the thing, knowing that I will then go and pick up 2 other things for the remaining boys to “balance” the presents? Do I face the potential disappointment of having the one item in his Christmas letter not be there on Christmas morning?  Do I blog about this in the hopes his grandparents read it and come to my rescue (.

The same thing happened with my eldest son, but for some reason I was able to rationalize with him about what types of things Santa does and does not bring.



EDIT: I just had an idea, what if I buy the present, wrap it, then hide it. If christmas morning goes ok we take it back, but if I get the feared sobbing heart shattered tears then presto, Santa left it behind the couch? What do you think?

5 Comments:

At 7:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What type of things does Santa not bring for your oldest??
I have run into the same problem - there are disadvantages to finishing all the shopping before the santa letter gets mailed.
I also do the balancing of piles of gifts. Do you balance by number of gifts or cost? Eg. Does a $10 barbie equal a $60 playmobile truck??

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger Todd said...

The eldest wanted some high-end electronics that were out of the budget range. He also wanted a basketball net, which is a good idea, but kinda of sucks to get in the middle of the winter. (that will be a spring garage sale item)

At the moment we are balancing by number of gifts, while attempting to factor in the cost. It is easier at this age since they do not understand the price of things.

So what are you going to do about the Santa Letter thing?

 
At 5:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This year I managed to sway their requests towards what was already purchased. My kids had no idea what they wanted. I'm sure that will change as the years roll by.

 
At 8:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Dear Aiden,

My little elves have been watching you for many

days now and they tell me that you are indeed a

very special boy. The say that you love school and that

you work and play very hard there. They also say that

your Mommy and Daddy smile when they watch you

play with your brothers and that you are a very loving

and loveable boy . I know that you are anxious for

Christmas to come. A special boy deserves a

special gift and that is what I will bring you on

Christmas eve.

Have a very merry Christmas Aiden.

Santa Claus

 
At 8:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Santa already mailed out "her" letters.Now how will you deal with it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home