Tuesday, November 29, 2005

My Marriage is doomed to failure

My wife and I have been together for many, many years.  If I do the math and add in time living together pre-marriage, it is somewhere around the 17-18 year mark.  Last night we had a discussion in the house that caused a shift in the balance of our relationship. 18 years of careful equality and give and take gone in a carelessly spoken comment.  If the discussion comes to pass I do not think I will be able to maintain the marriage. Destined to be another failed marriage statistic.

Today I am going to breach Blog protocol, drop the façade of Garrad/UberGeek and expose my relationship woes to the world.  I am going to bare my soul to you gentle readers and hope that somewhere an answer can be found, some solution to this heart-breaking conundrum.

My wife’s PC is failing.  It had started to exhibit signs of an immanent, catastrophic failure.  It has been patched; upgraded; tweaked and re-built from spare parts, duct tape and the occasional paper clip. It has been used/loved/abused by the 3 boys and is now shuddering on the death-bed.  My wife has suggested that maybe it is time to give it some attention.  Being the excellent geek I am I jumped on that like a kid on a Smartie.  I started discussing upgrades and patches and potential component replacements, but that is not what she wants. She wants to start clean, go new, build it from the ground up, which given the nature of the legacy equipment in it is actually a better idea.  At this point I got really excited as I pondered how to outfit my new gaming rig to replace my system when I handed it down to her.

Then she dropped the ball on me.  She does not want my pc. She wants the new one( it pains me to even type that).  That would mean that her PC would be faster and better and geekier than mine.

How in the name of all that is holy can she expect a relationship to survive that.  I am UberGeek, I am the software developer and I am the gamer, the slayer of demons and gods.  How can I possible live in a relationship so unbalanced. She has emasculated me, she has geek emasculated me.  I have nothing now.

Ok, so this is kinda tongue and cheek, but to be honest deep down inside it really does bother me.  Not relationships bother me, not hold a grudge bother me, just a little selfish whine deep down in the sub-cochlear region of my heart.  That will teach me for getting her involved in WoW. Of course knowing my luck, by the time we get the new PC she will have grown tired of playing WoW and it will be used only for surfing e-bay, yahoo mail and playing Bejeweled.  Oh the humanity!!!.





4 Comments:

At 6:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe if you say pretty please, she let you take it for a spin.

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger y-vonne said...

It takes so little to topple the strongest tower.

 
At 12:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first thoughts were of sacrifice...I would give her mine and let you get me a new one. Any hope there?

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger nancy said...

You can do it, and top it up with a spa day and you'll be king. I dare you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home