Friday, February 03, 2006

Don't bother calling. I know I am weird

Sorry I have not been around for a while, I got involved in a side project writing some fanfic. For the less Internet savvy here is the wikipedia definition of fanfic.
Fan fiction (also spelled fanfiction and commonly abbreviated to fanfic or fic when used in a singular sense) is fiction written by people who enjoy a film, novel, television show or other media work, using the characters and situations developed in it and developing new plots in which to use these characters. Characters and props from more than one media work may also be incorporated into a single fanfiction (known as crossovers)”

You may also be wondering what the fanfic was about, those that know me could be thinking Harry Potter, Dungeons and Dragons or Star Trek.

Good guesses but wrong, actually we have been carrying on writing fiction involving Dannon Light 'n Fit Smoothie.Yeah you read that right, I am writing fanfic about a yogurt drink.

How did this start? Well sit back and let me weave you a tale.

A while ago a friend introduced me to a virtual community, a website featuring a forum of gamers, mature gamers, who wanted to discuss gaming. I quickly became a part of the community and have spent the last 2 years posting and discussing with a wide range of personalities. The discussions have ranged far from just gaming; we discuss life, marriage, child rearing and a wide aspect of things. Sometimes the discussions are serious and emotional while we help members through relationship issues. Other times they are heated and fiery political debates. We exchange books we love, music we enjoy, recipes, and movies we thought were excellent. More often than not the intelligence and writing skill of the members explodes into a humour that leaves me giggling at my desk.

Last week a fourm member started a discussion about changes in our daily life between his grandfathers generation and his.

So, every morning for the 60 years they were married, my grandmother made my granddad biscuits, eggs, and side meat for breakfast. This morning, as I was shoehorning Molly into her car seat, my wife sticks a 7 oz bottle of Dannon Light 'n Fit Smoothie into my coat pocket.That seem right to you?
(he was not complaining about his wife not making him breakfast, but about the fast paced life we live in).

Since the forum has a lot of southern USA members the thread soon developed into a discourse about the virtues of “Biscuit’s and Gravy”, and the best way to prepare it.
Three pages later this post came up.

“Long live biscuits and gravy. Dannon Smoothies could never spawn three pages of posts.”

Quickly followed by

“Careful. Someone around here just might take that as a challenge, you know.”

I chose to be that person and issued the challenge. I started with a simple opening to a story, each addition needed to follow the plot of the previous post and somehow tie in a mention of Dannon Light 'n Fit Smoothie.

Sometimes the whole becomes so much more than the sum of it’s parts.

I will share with you the story to date. Since you do not know the authors, cannot see the comments interspersed around the story posts it may lose something in translation, but what the hell this is my blog.p.s. you can go here to read it from the source.

1 Comments:

At 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read the story first, then this part. Now I am impressed. See, Geeks and Nerds are creative in many ways. Are you gonna publish?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home